Eggs Benedict, and all variations thereof, is one of my favorite brunch dishes, next to steak and eggs. However, it can be very high in fat (hence delicious). I found a Cooking Light recipe that gives the same scrumptious-ness without all of the fat! This recipe substitutes sabayon for Hollandaise, which eliminates the high fat content, without losing the creamy delicious taste of the Hollandaise. This recipe is quite easy to make (I made the entire thing in less than 30 minutes), but will totally wow guests for brunch 🙂
Spinach Benedict with Thyme Sabayon on a Bagel
Recipe adapted from Cooking LightNutrition: 242 calories; 12 grams of fat Makes 4 servings (1 benedict each) or 2 servings with 2 eggs
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine (I used chardonnay)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (squeeze the juice from half of a lemon)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1 Bagel (or English Muffin)
16 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon butter
1. To prepare sauce, combine 1 egg, 2 tablespoons fat-free milk, 1 tablespoon dry white wine, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme in a sauce pan. Cook at medium-high heat until thick (about 9 minutes), stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat. Add butter, 1 piece at a time, stirring with a whisk until thoroughly incorporated. Keep warm.
- 2. Saute minced garlic and 1 teaspoon of butter; then add spinach, and cook until wilted (about 4 minutes).
- 3. Toast bagel/English muffin. Keep warm.
- 4. Add water to a large skillet, filling two-thirds full. Bring to a simmer. Add vinegar. Break each egg into a custard cup (or a soup ladle), and pour gently into pan. Cook 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Remove eggs from pan using a slotted spoon.
- 5. Top each bagel (English muffin) with half with spinach, 2 eggs and sabayon. Garnish with salt and pepper and a sprig of fresh thyme. Serve immediately.
I hope you enjoy this guilt free delight at your next brunch gathering!